Manticore and shared hosting

I am checking with my host (a LAMP server) to see if they can install Manticore on a shared server. They seem to feel that the starting and stopping the server as detailed here:
https://manual.manticoresearch.com/Starting_the_server/Linux
is the issue. I am still finding out the issues with them. Any thoughts from the Manticore end re: shared servers?

It seems that the issue is root access to start/stop the server, whereas shared hosting only provide a user account.

1 Like

technically you don’t need ‘root’ to install and run searchd.

It can be run in a ‘user’ account, providing have SSH access or similar to run commands. I’ve done it on shared hosting before.

… the trickiest is typically making sure that searchd is always running (eg that it gets started if the server is rebooted. ) it doesnt need to be done via systemd at the ‘system’ level, etc. Can just run the searchd binary ‘directly’.

Many hosters still allow you to setup cron-tasks, so might be able to use the @reboot syntax to make sure it gets run.

But the hoster might take a dim view, as it tends to hog memory. So while might be technically possible, they may not like it.

The second trickiest part might be finding a download version that just contains the raw binaries you need rather than installing via a package manager. in theory just need the searchd and indexer files, but would probably want the searchd.conf example file as a starting point.

Dig around in Index of /repository/ to find a package file, for your chosen version you can download. Could extract tgz file, or a .rpm file
linux - How do I extract the contents of an rpm? - Stack Overflow

The other point is what port number to use.

non-root, cant usuially listen on ports below, 1024, but the default is usually 9306 anyway. So not a problem.

You probably shouldn’t use 9306 thou.

1. so doesn’t conflict if the server ends up trying to set up its own instance of searchd at the system level.
  2. You might not have access to firewall, to be able to make sure that the port you use is blocked from outside, so want to use a very much’ non standard port to make it harder find.

(although should probably set listen to localhost only, so it only on local interface, but still want to hide it from other users on the shared server - that do have local access)

Thanks Barry,
I was thinking along those lines, and will try it. I am currently running an expensive dedicated server pretty much just for the ability to run ElasticSearch. Shared hosting would drop costs drastically. I’ll have a play on another server I have.