manticore setup issue

hello. im using a nosql db as my primar db & my data is distributed across multiple nodes/clusters. I cant seem to get manticore to work since all the mysql related info etc. I cant setup manticore & would love to get some help on the same. Ive gone through the docs but my docker gives some or the other error everytime. Kindly help. If I could get a step by step guide on commands to execute to set this up, id be grateful. thankyou

Hello

im using a nosql db as my primar db

What exactly db?

my data is distributed across multiple nodes/clusters

So is the primary nosql db distributed?

since all the mysql related info etc

How is it related with mysql? Is mysql your primary db?

commands to execute to set this up

How are you going to use Manticore: plain indexation, real-time indexation, with replication or not?

I am using cassandra/scylla db.

So yes, the db is distributed

How is it related with mysql? Is mysql your primary db?

No, i meant all the docs about using mysql to interact with manticore using port 9306 & stuff. I know it uses sphinxQL but im getting very confused.

I am going to use manticore to enable some complex full-text search & normal queries like aggregation etc too. Im going for plain indexation with batch data since that provides better throughput compared to real-time indexation. I need this to be as low-latency as possible. The data doesnt have to be searchable in real time, there can be a slight delay since users normally dont search for data generated instantaneously rather historic data. & yes, i do wish to replicate it across 1 node so if the primary node fails I have a fallback for the search logic

the architecture of manticore I need- enables sharding (which will be handled in application side since manticore doesnt have that yet), so I need multiple nodes/clusters with replication to 1 node. I dont want to store all my data in manticore, I want to still keep cassandra as the source of truth, but send data to manticore for indexing to search texts.

I need global indexing to work on the app until a new user joins after which I can use user-specific indexing to provide user-data security via this segregation & speed up load times for searching data by new users

Here’s how you can proceed:

That should cover it.

thankyou for the reply, But I cant seem to run the indexer because I cant find the manticore.conf file for some reason. I installed it using docker & there are folders inside docker /bin/bash, but theyre all empty. idk whats going on, this is driving me insane…any ideas?

What does this return?

ls -la /etc/manticoresearch/manticore.conf

With docker for plain tables you need to mount your custom config into the container - GitHub - manticoresoftware/docker: Official docker for Manticore Search

I tried-
root@deceb3fcb2e6:/var/lib/manticore# ls -la /etc/manticoresearch/manticore.conf

& it returned -
-rw-r--r-- 1 manticore manticore 9326 Oct 23 12:14 /etc/manticoresearch/manticore.conf

I cant find the manticore.conf file for some reason

So here you are.

thanks, ill try to update this

ok so I think i can understand the real problem. theres no way for me to open this file. logging in as a root user shows different files, etc. But as a root user I cant use editors or nano or vi to edit files. & as a normal user using sudo, this file doesnt exist. Any ideas?

How is it possible? Is that in Manticore’s official docker? How do I reproduce it then?

But as a root user I cant use editors or nano or vi to edit files

Why don’t you install vim or nano? With the official docker image you can do apt update and then install whatever you want.

vim & nano come preinstalled in my os. i also have helix. none of the commands work as root user

How is it possible? Is that in Manticore’s official docker? How do I reproduce it then?

This is the command I ran initially (didnt work)-
sudo docker run --name manticore -v ~/manticore/etc/:/etc/sphinxsearch/ -v ~/manticore/data/:/var/lib/manticore/data -v ~/manticore/logs/:/var/lib/manticore/log -p 9306:9306 -p 9312:9312 -d manticoresearch/manticore

My most recent attempt-
sudo docker run --name manticore -p 9308:9308 -p 9312:9312 -d manticoresearch/manticore

followed by-
sudo docker exec -it manticore indexer --all --rotate

gives:

Manticore 6.2.12 dc5144d35@230822
Copyright (c) 2001-2016, Andrew Aksyonoff
Copyright (c) 2008-2016, Sphinx Technologies Inc (http://sphinxsearch.com)
Copyright (c) 2017-2023, Manticore Software LTD (https://manticoresearch.com)

using config file ‘/etc/manticoresearch/manticore.conf’…
FATAL: no tables found in config file ‘/etc/manticoresearch/manticore.conf’

i entered as root user - sudo docker exec -it manticore /bin/bash
root@deceb3fcb2e6:/var/lib/manticore# ls -la /etc/manticoresearch/manticore.conf
-rw-r–r-- 1 manticore manticore 9326 Oct 23 12:14 /etc/manticoresearch/manticore.conf

But I cant open this. Ive tried everything. Its very weird

lemme know if a screenshot of my terminal helps. I can send it

-v ~/manticore/etc/:/etc/sphinxsearch/ 

is wrong. There’s no /etc/sphinxsearch/ in the container. Manticore also doesn’t use it as a default dir even if it gets created by docker when you map the dir inside the container.
The proper config path is /etc/manticoresearch/manticore.conf . Please read GitHub - manticoresoftware/docker: Official docker for Manticore Search

sudo docker exec -it manticore indexer --all --rotate

Make sure to index under user “manticore”. Use gosu, the example is here GitHub - manticoresoftware/docker: Official docker for Manticore Search

yeah that was 1 of my many failed attempts. my most recent one is-
sudo docker run --name manticore -p 9308:9308 -p 9312:9312 -d manticoresearch/manticore

ill check out the links some more, & get back
thanks

OK. With this you get the default config which is not compatible with indexer as it’s running in RT mode. You can read about the modes here Manticore Search Manual: Read this first

sure. thanks.