Recommended method to search multiple indexes

Hello,

I’m a new user of Manticore Search and I must say that I’m very impressed. I was using ElasticSearch before. Thank you for creating such great software.

My question is: what’s the best way to search multiple indexes?
I have three indexes:

1. Person
  2. Address
  3. Phone

The result that I’m looking for is similar to what a query with one or more JOINs would output in T-SQL when searching on fields in multiple tables but within the same query.
For example:

SELECT
FROM
   person 
   LEFT JOIN
      phone 
      ON phone.person_id = person.id 
WHERE
   person.full_name = 'John Doe' 
   OR phones.phone_number = '0112223'

Do I have to run multi-queries here? My main point of communication with Manticore is through its HTTP API.

You can create a distributed index referencing your 3 indices, a query on the distributed index will then query the 3 indices and coalesce the results. Your SQL query can also specify the join conditions. I think this should do more or less what you need.

Thank you for your kind words.

Unfortunately Manticore can’t do JOINs yet, so you would have to denormalize your data, so person, address and phone are in the same index.

Thank you for your reply. I created a distributed index with multiple local indexes but I was getting inaccurate results when searching. I don’t see documentation about the expected behavior for this case so I’m not sure what’s happening even after much testing.

I denormalized the datasets and I got the result that I was looking for. I considered denormalizing before creating this thread but I thought of it as the last option if nothing else works. Thank you for your suggestion. Are JOINs in the roadmap?

Not in the nearest plans, but eventually we would like to add it too. Perhaps in 2022.

1 Like

Any update on the “join”?

yes it is on the pay INNER/LEFT JOIN · Issue #1673 · manticoresoftware/manticoresearch · GitHub

You could subscribe at the ticket to get informed for progress

1 Like